Anime Lab recently began streaming an English Subtitled trailer for the upcoming second season of the anime adaptation of Hajime Isayama’s Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) manga. The second season will return on April 1st ( Tokyo MX at 11:00pm JST). It has also been revealed that Linked Horizon will be returning once again to perform the opening song. Linked Horizon performed the first and second opening theme song for the first season of Attack on Titan.
In addition, a new visual was also recently revealed.
The first visual was revealed last July, alongside the announcement that the cast and staff will return – however a new director will take charge.
The site has revealed that the main cast of the first season and the spin-off will return for the second season:
- Yuuki Kaiji (Issei Hyoudou from High School DxD) returning to voice Eren Yeager
- Yui Ishikawa (Hinaki Shinjou in Hinaki Shinjou) as Mikasa Ackerman
- Marina Inoue (Tooka Yatogami in Date A Live) voicing as Armin Arlert
- Hiroshi Kaminya (Izaya Orihara from Durarara!!) who will voice Levi
- Kishou Taniyama (Natsuki Shinomiya from Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love) will voice Jean Kirstein
- Yuu Shimamura (Haruka Haruno from Go! Princess Precure) as Annie Leonhart
- Yuu Kobayashi (Katsuragi in Senran Kagura) voicing as Sasha Blouse
- Shiori Mikami (Akari Akaza from YuruYuri) returns to voice Krista Lenz
- Tomohisa Hashizume (Delico in Gangsta.) voices Bertolt Hoover
- Yoshimasa Hosoya (Junpei Hyuuga in Kuroko’s Basketball) returning as Reiner Braun
- Saki Fujita (Ao Nanami from Yozakura Quartet) voicing the role of Ymir
- Daisuke Ono (Sebastian Michaelis in Black Butler) as Erwin Smith
- Romi Park (Edward Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist) back as Hanji Zoe
- Hiro Shimono (Keima Katsuragi in The World God Only Knows) who will voice Connie Springer
The majority of the production staff from the first season will also return. However, a new director will be leading the series in their debut role. Though the director of the first season will return in a different role.
- Director: Koizuka Masashi (Attack on Titan and Attack on Titan: No Regrets Episode Director)
- Chief Director: Tetsuro Araki (Attack on Titan, Death Note)
- Series Composer: Yasuko Kobayashi (Attack on Titan, JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure)
- Anime Character Designer and Chief Animation Director: Kyoji Asano (Attack on Titan, Psycho-Pass)
- Art Director: Shunichiro Yoshihara (Attack on Titan, Rolling Girls)
- Sound Director: Masafumi Mima (Attack on Titan, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood)
- Music Composer: Hiroyuki Sawano (Attack on Titan, Guilty Crown)
- Animation Studio: Wit Studio (Attack on Titan, Rolling Girls)
Here is the preview video for the second season that was revealed at the conclusion of the second compilation anime film:
Attack on Titan is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Hajime Isayama. The series began in Kodansha’s Bessatsu Shōnen Magazine on September 9, 2009, and has been collected into 21 tankōbon volumes as of December 2016. It is set in a world where humanity lives in cities surrounded by enormous walls; a defense against the Titans, gigantic humanoids that eat humans seemingly without reason. The story initially centers on Eren Yeager, his adopted sister Mikasa Ackerman and childhood friend Armin Arlert, who join the military to fight the Titans after their home town is invaded and Eren’s mother is eaten. However, as the story progresses and the truths about the Titans are slowly revealed to the reader, the narrative shifts to encompass Historia Reiss, squad leader Levi, Eren’s father Grisha, and other supporting characters.
The spin-off light novel series Before the Fall began in December 2011 and has received a manga adaptation. Two additional light novel series and four additional spin-off manga series have also been created. A television anime adaptation produced by Wit Studio and Production I.G aired in Japan on MBS between April and September 2013 and a second season is confirmed to be released in April 2017. Four video game adaptations developed by Nitroplus staffers in collaboration with Production I.G were announced to be released as bonus content for the third and sixth volumes of the Blu-ray Disc release of the anime, with another game developed by Spike Chunsoft for the Nintendo 3DS. A two-part live-action film adaptation, Attack on Titan and Attack on Titan: End of the World, and a live-action web-series were released in 2015. An anime adaptation of the Junior High spin-off manga, produced by Production I.G, began airing in October 2015. Attack on Titan and all five spin-off manga are published in North America by Kodansha Comics USA, while the three novel series are published by Vertical. The anime has been licensed by Funimation for North America, by Manga Entertainment for the UK, and by Madman Entertainment for Australasia.
Attack on Titan has become a commercial success. As of September 2016, the manga has 60 million copies in print. The release of the anime also saw a boost in the series’ popularity, with it having received critical acclaim for its atmosphere and story. Although it also gained fame in neighboring Asian countries, the series’ themes have been a subject of controversy.
Here is a synopsis of the anime:
Several hundred years ago, humans were nearly exterminated by titans. Titans are typically several stories tall, seem to have no intelligence, devour human beings and, worst of all, seem to do it for the pleasure rather than as a food source. A small percentage of humanity survived by walling themselves in a city protected by extremely high walls, even taller than the biggest of titans.
Flash forward to the present and the city has not seen a titan in over 100 years. Teenage boy Eren and his foster sister Mikasa witness something horrific as the city walls are destroyed by a colossal titan that appears out of thin air. As the smaller titans flood the city, the two kids watch in horror as their mother is eaten alive. Eren vows that he will murder every single titan and take revenge for all of mankind.