Happy Wednesday, from Japan, where a cup of “American” means a weak cup of coffee.
Now that the 1990’s are over, it’s fun to look back and see the various words that enjoyed a boom over the decade. “Nowey” (the English word “now” with “ey” added) was popular near the start of the 1990’s, and meant “new” or “cool.” 1993-4 saw a boom in women trying to keep in shape, which spawned the sexy term “body conscious” or “bodycon” for short. This is not to be confused with “mother complex” or “mazacon, which is the Japanese term for Oedipus complex. When people didn’t like something, they would say gero gero” which literally meant “barf barf.” The word for “of course” in Japanese is “mochiron, and this was abbreviated to mocchi” during the early 90’s. These terms have all passed into popular history, and are no longer used, but if you want to have fun with a Japanese friend, give them a spin.
Today is our designated Yukara day. Yukara is a bit of a local cult, a Chinese restaurant that’s open between the hours of 11:30 pm and 4 am. Frequented largely by college students from Gunma University, the delicious food served up by the slightly quirky master (owner) is just fantastic.It’s so popular, in fact, that it’s customary to wait an hour or more to get in to order — and that means waiting outside in the cold December air. I’m going to order the stir-fried meat with garlic buds, but Tomo is partial to the kara-age (Japanese-style fried chicken) and gyoza. Eating your fill of delicious, greasy food at midnight isn’t probably the most healthy thing to do, but we love Yukara so much, we can’t help it.
We’ve got an extra-special update for you this evening, with items such as:
- First, new magazines, including the new issue of EX CD-ROM, an all-color magazine with a Video CD with 64 minutes of great pro AV footage
- By customer request, we’ve got many new $5 and $6 magazines on magazine page 3 — check them out now!
- For photobook fans, we’ve got many excellent new items, including former Race Queen Suzuki Manami’s excellent “Queen” photobook and more
- For leg fetish fans, an elegant “costume play” photobook on the leg fetish photobook page, featuring four lovely and elegant Japanese leggy models
- We’ve got a bunch of new additions t the adult manga pages, both all-new manga volumes, as well as back-in-stock classics, with fresh stock of great books by Chattaro and others — see the manga pages, now!
- For fans of the wonderful and bold Soft on Demand, we’ve got a great video: an 80 year old Japanese man couples with two lovely AV idols — go, ojiisan!
- Also ranking very high on the very cool meter, a swimsuit idol video with a twist: the idol is the naughty Hijiri Sayaka, and she has a great sexual adventure by the shores of pleasant Okinawa
- For fans of the lovely AV idol Iijima Ai, one of the most important AV actresses of the 1990’s, will love her debut on DVD — See Charisma Venus, on the DVD Main page
- Fans of the works of animation creator Matsumoto Leiji will love the fresh stock of die-cast toy versions of his greatest ships, including the Andromedia, Captain Harlock’s Arcadia, and more — see the anime toys page
- We’ve got several interesting items on the Wacky Things from Japan and Signs and Stickers pages, including an authentic wooden Japanese ladel used at shrines and temples, as well as several new amusing slogans on stickers
- Finally, one of the reasons we just to run J-List is, we get to evangelize various things that we love about this country. One thing I love is the delicious wakame (seaweed) soup that’s available in Japan, and now you can get it, too! See the Japanese snacks page for this great and healthy soup from Japan.
A member of our little J-List family, Tetsuya, recently tried his hand at Bungee jumping, because he wanted to try something new. (While living in Florida, Tetsuya decided to go to Peru and see the sky-pictures of Nazca and went to Machu Pichcu. See his death-defying dive at http://mall.jlist.com/cgi-bin/tame.cgi/myjapan/peter/jump.html (Quicktime 4 required).