Hello again from J-List, your #1 source for cool stuff from Japan!
The Japanese language is awash with loan words, most of which come from English — words like “situation” and “category” and “industrial designer” are used in Japanese pretty much as-is. The more cosmopolitan the speaker is, the more English they’ll pepper their Japanese speech with, just as English speakers sometimes use French terms while they speak. Sometimes a “stylish” word such as “necklace” will be imported, with the original Japanese word (“kubiwa”) changing in meaning (now it refers to a dog’s collar).
Japanese didn’t always import a lot of English words, however. Before and during World War II, Japan had close relations with Germany, and as a result, many of the loan words Japanese use in their daily speech, such as arbeit (a part-time job, which often gets shortened to “baito” in Japanese), karte (a medical chart) and anket (a questionnaire) are not English at all. (Disclaimer to our German customers: we may be wrong about the spelling and/or actual origin of these words, sorry if so.) This doesn’t stop students of English from using these words in English, of course
For this weekend’s update, we’ve got some very nice items for you, as always, including:
- New magazines, including the very nice new issue of Men’s Master, featuring lovely nude features by Asato Yuka, Kouda Hitomi and Yoshikawa Minami
- A large number of new photobooks, including vol. 1-5 of the nice “Privacy” series, a line of hardcover photobooks documenting the lovely “private room” nudes of five wonderful Japanese ladies
- As always, we’ve got some popular back-in-stock items for you too, among them the very nice So Long photobook by Fubuki Akira (another 8 copies in stock, since last week’s sold out so quickly), and Ozawa Madoka’s lovely hardcover photobook
- On our magazine backissues page, we’ve got several premium issues which will likely go quickly, including a very rare issue of Penthouse with a certain Taiwanese lady on the cover
We have two new killer hentai artbooks on the Artbooks (Hentai) page (on the manga & dojinshi master category)
- For those who love Soft on Demand’s creative approach to AV making, a new installment in the excellent “Fuckin’ On” series with Okazaki Mio
- Also from SOD, the end-all in leg-fetish videos: a super 90 minute video covering all the bases, including silky stockings, sexy high-heels and up-skirt shots, leotard fetish, and more –quoth the English on this cover, The fetish heaven has been full of legs
- In addition to fresh stock of the endlessly cute Morning Musume collectible cards, our stock of the busty idol group “Pirates” collectible cards is down to $1 a pack — see them on the Anime Cards & Puzzles page
- Since the world can never be too wacky, we have several interesting new items on the Trendy Goods page — including more interesting wooden signs to decorate your room with, even more of our wacky Japanese reflective stickers, a new “Buddhist bead” item suitable for use as a bracelet in case you’re not Buddhist, and a lovely stationary set made from traditional Japanese “washi” paper.
Remember J-List’s sale on our lovely S&M and fetish “gouka-bon” format books. These are great “interest books” for fans of some of Japan’s unique fetish categories, and our “buy 3 get 1 free” sale ends Sept 1.