For years, Crunchyroll has been in the business of licensing current and upcoming anime properties to localize and stream on their online service. It’s a business model that has helped give anime fans even more legal ways to experience major anime. Now, Crunchyroll is taking steps even further and producing their own anime properties and adaptations. The first major fruit of these labors is an anime adaptation of hit Korean manhwa series Tower of God, which is set to premiere on April 1st.
Billed as a Crunchyroll original, the Tower of God anime is a joint production from Crunchyroll and WEBTOON, the manga publishing company that has hosted and localized the original series since 2010. According to the official website for the anime, the show is set to have a simultaneous release in Japan, South Korea, and the United States. Crunchyroll described the anime as follows:
The upcoming Crunchyroll Original series centers on the journey of a young man as he battles his way through the mysterious Tower, building friendships, discovering the rules that govern this tower, and facing unimaginable terrors, as he strives to find the only friend he’s ever known.
Alongside the announcement of the April 1st premiere, a new trailer was released for Tower of God that shows off the following new cast members:
- Rie Suegara as Endorsi Jahad, a princess of Jahad who climbs the tower as a Regular
- Akira Sekine as Anaak Jahad, a girl who wields “The Green April,” one of the legendary “13 Month Series” weapons
- Nobuhiko Okamoto as Khun Aguero Agnes, originally from the Khun family, one of the “10 Families”
- Kenta Miyake as Rak Wraithraiser, a proud warrior bursting with confidence whose nickname is “gator”
- Mariko Honda as Yuri Jahad, a princess of Jahad possessing both top-class strength and experience
- Toshinari Fukamachi as Hatz
- Takuya Eguchi as Shibisu
- Kazuyuki Okitsu as Evan Edroch
These actors join Taichi Ichikawa as Bam, Saori Hayami as Rachel, and Houchu Ohtsuka as Headon.
While the Tower of God anime is being produced jointly by Crunchyroll and WEBTOON, the anime is being made my animation studio Telecom Animation Film, who previously worked on series like Lupin the Third: Part 5, We Rent Tsukumogami, and Orange. Takashi Sano, who previously directed Sengoku Basara: End of Judgement and Transformers: Energon, will be directing this series alongside assistant director Hirokazu Hanai, who previously worked on Dances with the Dragons and Chain Chronicle: The Light of Haecceitas. Erika Yoshida, who was on staff for Trickster and Namu Amida Butsu! -Rendai Utena-, is in charge of series composition. Character designs are being handled jointly by Masashi Kudo and Miho Tanino, with Kudo having previously worked on Bleach and Hayate the Combat Butler. Kevin Penkin, the composer behind series like Made in Abyss and The Rising of The Shield Hero, is set to compose the music for this anime.
Assorted additional staff working on Tower of God includes:
- Prop design: Kenji Masuda
- Creature design: Masahiko Suzuki
- BG art director: Keiichiro Shimizu
- Color setting: Satoshi Hashimoto
- 3DCG director: Ryouta Takano
- Special effects supervisor: Kumiko Taniguchi
- Sound director: Takayuki Yamaguchi
- Editor: Kazuhiro Nii
- Sound effects: Yasuyuki Konno, Yui Ando
- Music producer: Hiromitsu Iijima
- Music production: IRMA LA DOUCE