The official website of the upcoming second season of the anime adaptation of Yasuhiro Nightow’s Kekkai Sensen (Blood Blockade Battlefront) manga began streaming the first promotional video on Sunday.
Here’s the 30-second commercial for season 2:
Here is the announcement video for the upcoming second season:
The main cast of the first season will return and includes:
- Rikiya Koyama (Kiritsugu Emiya in Fate/Zero and Fate/stay night) is voicing the role of Klaus von Reinhertz
- Daisuke Sakaguchi (Shinpachi Shimura in Gintama) as Leonard Watch
- Kazuya Nakai (Roronoa Zoro from One Piece) will voice Zapp Renfro
- Yuu Kobayashi (Sasha Blouse from Attack on Titan) is voicing Chain Sumeragi
- Mitsuru Miyamoto (Maiza Avaro in Baccano!) voices Stephen A. Starphase
- Ai Orikasa (Ryouko Hakubi in Shin Tenchi Muyo!) voicing as K. K.
- Shinji Ogawa (Franz von Stresemann from Nodame Cantabile) as Gilbert F. Altstein
- Yuuma Uchida (Yuuma Kousaka in Gundam Build Fighters Try) will voice Sonic Speed Monkey
- Akira Ishida (Kotaro Katsura in Gintama) as Femt
The majority of the staff also returns for the second season, however a new director will be leading the series:
- Director: Shigehito Takayanagi (Tokyo ESP, The World God Only Knows)
- Script Writer: Kazunao Furuya (Debut role)
- Anime Character Designer: Toshihiro Kawamoto (Cowboy Bebop, Gosick)
- Art Director: Shinji Kimura (Ao no Exorcist Movie, Steamboy)
- Animation Studio: Studio BONES (Hitsugi no Chaika, Captain Earth)
Kekkai Sensen is a Japanese shounen manga by Yasuhiro Nightow. It has been published bimonthly in the magazine Jump SQ.19 from February to April 2009 and moved to Jump Square upon the former’s ending. The plot revolves around a young photographer named Leonardo Watch, who obtains ‘the All Seeing Eyes of the Gods’ at the cost of his sister’s eyesight. After the incident, Leonardo moves to the city of Hellsalem’s Lot to join an organization known as Libra to fight several monsters as well as terrorists. The manga has been published in the United States by Dark Horse Comics.
An anime adaptation by Bones premiered in early 2015, Funimation licensed the series for streaming in North America. Both the manga and anime were well received by publications due to its story and characters. A second season has been announced and will begin airing in October 2017.
Kekkai Sensen synopsis:
A breach between Earth and the netherworlds has opened up over the city of New York, trapping New Yorkers and creatures from other dimensions in an impenetrable bubble. They’ve lived together for years, in a world of crazy crime sci-fi sensibilities. Now someone is threatening to sever the bubble, and a group of stylish superhumans is working to keep it from happening.